Subtle style

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Feb 21 08:07:09 UTC 2008

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
>> Only background? Possible to change in some GDM-configuration program?
>
> Start from this reference:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-December/msg00164.html
> learn more and then please report back to help us create a good looking
> login screen.

I followed the issue to the desktop list and got a very informative
answer from William Jon McCann (quoted here for those not subscribed to
the desktop list; read the full message in the archive:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2008-February/msg00042.html)

We run a gnome-settings-daemon in the greeter so that we pick
up the system gconf defaults for background, icon theme, metacity
theme, gtk theme, etc.  So, whatever work you do to get the desktop
themes tweaked will be inherited by the GDM greeter.

One advantage of this is that the transition from greeter to a default
session is pretty smooth.  The background doesn't change, the
icons/colors/etc don't change, and the gnome-panel slides into view.

If for some reason we want to customize the greeter we can still do
that.  One way is to do something similar to what we did for the
gnome-screensaver dialog.  We can modify the glade file and provide a
gtkrc.

One extra bit of theming/branding that I added upstream (not in
rawhide yet) is the ability to specify a logo icon name to use in
place of the computer monitor image on the greeter login dialog.  We
could add the the Fedora logo there for example.