[Round 3] Alternative wallpapers for Sulphuric Waves

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 07:19:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 23:16 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hey Martin,
>
> Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Well, I noticed it as well, and I like the grey version a lot, but I
> > guess I could not get used much to such colours. I prefer more saturated
> > ones, the grey feels a little depressing, like if it was a sea/sky on
> > some distant inhabited planet composed mostly of lava-like surface. But
> > don't care about me, I'm probably the only one with this feeling
> > anyway :-D
>
> It is a little depressing on the one hand, but on the other it is very
> non-distracting, perfect for a default wallpaper.
Perhaps. Come to think of it, how is the alternative artwork project
going? I think we could provide (a) package(s) with alternative
wallpapers for F9?

> > And some technical comment, grey gradients tend to not look smooth on
> > weaker/older/cheap lcd displays, while saturated ones are usually
> > better...
>
> I've never heard this before?
>
> ~m

I don't know the technical details, but whenever I read some tests of
LCD monitors, one of the tests they usually do is a test of quality of
display of greys and that's usually where the cheaper LCD fails. But I
think it's getting better with newer technologies.