Echo future

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 16:27:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 11:01 -0500, Kelly Miller wrote:
> Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> > QtCurve doesn't work well with GTK.
> Funny, it works perfectly fine when I use it.
> > Most GNOME people don't want KDE's features and appearance, and vice
> > versa.
> >
> > If someone mixes them, his problem.
> Go and tell that to the people who run KDE and use Firefox and/or
> Thunderbird as their main browser/email client.  I guess they'd rather
> have their principle programs stick out like sore thumbs.
>
> Can I predict that you run Gnome as your main desktop?  I've noticed
> that this sort of attitude seems to come from Gnome-centric people who
> feel that having anything Qt-related on their system is a corruption of
> FLOSS, and ignore anyone who tries to run both at the same time.

In my case it's rather not liking the way KDE folks tend to make their
applications look and behave like and I also wanted in past totally
consistent desktop, which lead me to find great pieces of software I
hadn't use or even known of at all previously (evolution, epiphany,
brasero, listen). You know, just now, whenever I try a KDE app in GNOME
it sucks, because it really does not fit the gnome philosophy which I am
so used to, but the same would go for gnome apps in KDE environment. But
I perfectly understand the reason why people use cross
desktop/not-native applications as I used to do it as well and I'd like
them to have the option to at least have the looks similar (we cannot
alter the 'feel' part).

And you know, even when you manage somehow to find a gtk/qt themes that
look precisely same and the same goes for an icon theme, you can tell
which app is from gnome and which from KDE with quite a good accuracy.
It's because the different approaches the projects have chosen and it's
what really makes kde apps look weird in gnome, it's not about FLOSS at
all, you know KDE is just as FLOSS as Gnome.