[Round 3] Alternative wallpapers for Sulphuric Waves

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 18:54:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 09:45 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > Martin Sourada wrote:
> >> I noticed you attached the darker version to the Waves page [1]. I
> >> decided to give it another try and created a version that is neither
> >> that light like the first tries nor that dark like your try. I attached
> >> it to the page [1].
> >
> > I think now is the time for us to settle on one single color, do the
> > base wallpaper and start the other associated graphics, from grub to
> > splashes (the deadline is coming).
> > So we have so far one gray and 3 shades of blue, which is the one we are
> > going forward with? opinions? informal votes? post here...
>
> I like the grey best... I had settled on it after trying blue.
>
> I have been meaning to play with the sulphur itself to add a blue glow.
> Maybe the supporting artwork could have more blue, maybe with grey
> accents to match, but the wallpaper would be grey?

Which reminds me, I really liked the third banner available for Alpha
Release [1], would you be able to do a wallpaper using this styling? I
especially like the blueish halo and strong transition between the "sea"
and the "sky".

>  From the initial feedback on the mockups it seemed a lot of people
> welcomed the change to grey as a change of pace.
>
> ~m

Well, I noticed it as well, and I like the grey version a lot, but I
guess I could not get used much to such colours. I prefer more saturated
ones, the grey feels a little depressing, like if it was a sea/sky on
some distant inhabited planet composed mostly of lava-like surface. But
don't care about me, I'm probably the only one with this feeling
anyway :-D

And some technical comment, grey gradients tend to not look smooth on
weaker/older/cheap lcd displays, while saturated ones are usually
better...

Martin