A Thought About F9 Artwork

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Tue Jan 1 20:06:07 UTC 2008

John Baer wrote:
> Does it make sense to change the theme every other release cycle and
> use the off cycle to improve or tweak the current theme?

This is a good point - it would be nice to see a somewhat common theme
getting more and more polished with each release. More of an evolution
than a complete redesign each time. That said, the last few themes have
been a bit like this.

Things that are easier to change, like the splash screens and wallpaper
can change more frequently and dramatically. Things that are more
challenging to redesign well, like Gtk and Metacity themes evolve more
slowly.

This reminds me of the 6 layers of buildings from Stewart Brand's
classic book, How Buildings Learn:
http://www.peterme.com/archives/00000323.html

I would like to see a general visual theme for Fedora that can slowly
evolve and improve with each release, but still have enough wiggle-room
for each release to feel new and exciting.

I proposed a seasonal Spring/Fall theme set to coincide with the
time-based release schedule of Fedora back in November. I've been trying
to create a page for it on the wiki, but I'm having trouble getting my
account created (probably my own fault).

Quoting myself:
> As the Fedora release schedule is now about as reliable as the coming
> of spring and fall, it occurred to me that spring and fall might
> serve as appropriate visual themes for alternating releases.
>
> Both "spring" and "fall" (aka autumn) are nice natural visual
> metaphors that have recognizable and (potentially) beautiful color
> schemes associated with them. They are also both "natural" themes,
> which can work well for desktop themes.
>
> Perhaps we could adopt a "spring" visual theme for the odd-numbered
> releases that fall in the spring, and a "fall" visual theme for the
> even-numbered releases that fall in the, well, fall.
>
> This would also provide a way to have a strong visual change between
> releases, but still build on a larger theme that could grow more
> refined over multiple releases.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-November/msg00099.html

A theme like this would allow a common thread for all Fedora release
visuals, but also a nice back-and-forth change for each release.

Cheers,
Steven Garrity