A Thought About F9 Artwork

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 20:26:47 UTC 2008

On Jan 1, 2008 6:13 PM, Daniel Geiger <dgeiger_343 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I believe it would be beneficial to Fedora to stabilize the artwork in
> successive releases.  IMO, radically changing the artwork each release
> detracts from giving Fedora a recognizable look and feel.

I think having a distinguishing desktop background by default for each
release is important.
So that its easier to tell at a glance which release, and thus which
set of technologies are present.  If we don't make destinctive visual
changes, then its more likely that less familiar users will run across
screenshots and screencasts that don't apply to the release they are
actually using because the underlying functionality being expressed in
the screen capture has changed.

The rest of the graphics (except maybe splash screens) I would agree
deserve refinement because they serve a more functional role. Users
interact with window borders and buttons and icons and whatnot. But
the desktop background itself is purely expressive.  I think it must
change significantly from release to release so that we avoid a
measure of confusion over out-of-the-box expectations for the evolving
desktop experience.  I don't want people googling and finding a
screencast on how to use NetworkManager in F8 and assume its a
screencast done on F9 because the most distinctive visual element, the
desktop background is too similar.

-jef