A Thought About F9 Artwork

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 17:22:17 UTC 2008

Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 17:49 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>
>> Steven Garrity wrote:
>> Please look these two screenshots:
>> http://bayimg.com/MAIAIaaBL
>> http://bayimg.com/MAiagaABL
>>
>> One is FC6 and other is F8.
>>
>> Can you make the difference. The differences are subtle, too subtle and
>> too bland IMHO. I would love to see Fedora 9 get the gtk theme it deserves.
>>
>> So slowing down design really sound bad to me.
>>
>> Valent.
>>

> I saw these two quite long quite a long ago and you were told, that the
> difference is obvious, though subtle.
>
> As for the Fedora 9 gtk theme. So far this [1] seems what will be in
> Fedora 9, although there is still room for improvement. But why don't
> you come up with something awesome yourself? We are all doing our best
> while you seem to just rant about how things would be better.

Because I have no actual creative talent but as I said in my email I
have an critic eye and I have been volunteering as a critic for my
friends and family for over 15 years - they are photographers,
designers, 3d modelers and artists and I'm really respected for my
constructive criticism.

I can't create a new gtk theme but I can say to you if one sucks or or
if it rocks.

You can look for yourself for some ideas:
http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/skins/linuxutil/gnome/gtk2/?order=9&alltime=yes
http://www.gnome-look.org/index.php?xsortmode=down&page=0&xcontentmode=100

There are lots of great themes and designs.

I don't work for fedora ArtTeam but I'm a long time fedora desktop user
and I would love to see some improvements in how fedora looks. I know
that lot of people work hard and I really appreciate it, and I have seen
what great designs they have done (except F8 IMHO). If you look at other
other desktops - they are moving forward (look at OSX, Vista and some of
other linux distros) and I as Fedora user feel stuck in design past :)

I know that lot of things you can't change because Gnome is responsible
for that. Nobody has touched gnome panels  design wise since FC1, maybe
I'm overstating it but it looks like that to me. New theme isn't needed
just in present one do something with gnome panels. Why are gnome panels
so plain?

So what can I do except to rant? Do you have some idea how else I can
contribute? Because this is the best I can do (ps. I also contribute in
reporting all the bugs I find to bugzilla).

Valent.