A Thought About F9 Artwork

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 14:12:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 10:11 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> 2008/1/9, Luya Tshimbalanga <luya_tfz at thefinalzone.com>:
>         Valent Turkovic a écrit :
>         >
>         > I know that lot of things you can't change because Gnome is
>         > responsible for that. Nobody has touched gnome
>         panels  design wise
>         > since FC1, maybe I'm overstating it but it looks like that
>         to me. New
>         > theme isn't needed just in present one do something with
>         gnome panels.
>         > Why are gnome panels so plain?
>         You mean Fedora 3 because the previous version only has one
>         bottom
>         panel. The difficulty is also to consider usability when it
>         comes to
>         artwork.
>
>         Luya

> GNOME is very usable, but two panels can be confusing solution.
> Next thing I don't like is the default menu in the top panel.
> This menu have no "favourites". I dislike it.

Actually I find 2 panels to be much better than one. The favourites are
handled in the bottom panel (by hand, as I am the one who knows best
what I'd like to have accessible via one-click) as well as some applets
like volume setting, trash, log out, lock screen, run, notify area and
virtual desktop switcher... In the top one I have menu, window list and
some applets that say whats going on (i.e. how much network traffic I
have, how much CPU is used and what datum and time is it). I find it
very convenient, easy to manage and fast to use, much better than only
when panel setting - to me it seems one panel for all the things I'd
like to have accessible on one click is not very useful... (as a matter
of fact, when I occasionally use windows I find the one panel with start
menu quite confusing and shortcoming of space).

But what I want to say with it, the default configuration is chosen to
fit most of the gnome users, but not everyone use it as is, but make
their own layout, but still I think two panels have much more positives
than negatives over one panel. Also having the menu on the top is nice,
since application menus are on the top of window as well, so it is more
logical.

Just my 2$.

Btw. if you'd like the default panel configuration changed, make your
proposal on the fedora-desktop-list [1], I am sure they'll gladly
discuss it with you.

Martin