Round 1

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 06:33:51 UTC 2008

2008/1/13 Laith Juwaidah <ljuwaida at fedoraproject.org>:
> What do you suggest?
I'm not going to suggest anything because I personally do not like the
idea of generating a background for uniqueness for a default.  And
that's as far as I'm going to go with my personal opinion to avoid
shutting down a discussion that may hold a more palatable concept as
other people think about it. I'm open to persuasion generally.

But the idea of the re-using the smolt id for theis sort of automatic
uniqueness is definitely a specific implementation to be discouraged,
because there was a deliberate effort to restrict what smolt does so
that it doesn't leak information. Re-using the smolt id, in anyway for
anything runs the risk of doing exactly that.  Some people may very
well want to do it, but I very much doubt its not going to be a
technology that Fedora as a project will actively encourage people to
use.  I wouldn't want to encourage to use an ssh key or password to
algorithmically generate a desktop image, and i think we should
respect the smolt id in a similar fashion.

-jef