Round 1

Laith Juwaidah ljuwaida at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 14 09:40:57 UTC 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 10:33 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/1/13 Laith Juwaidah <ljuwaida at fedoraproject.org>:
> > What do you suggest?
> I'm not going to suggest anything because I personally do not like the
> idea of generating a background for uniqueness for a default. And
> that's as far as I'm going to go with my personal opinion to avoid
> shutting down a discussion that may hold a more palatable concept as
> other people think about it. I'm open to persuasion generally.
>
> But the idea of the re-using the smolt id for theis sort of automatic
> uniqueness is definitely a specific implementation to be discouraged,
> because there was a deliberate effort to restrict what smolt does so
> that it doesn't leak information. Re-using the smolt id, in anyway for
> anything runs the risk of doing exactly that.  Some people may very
> well want to do it, but I very much doubt its not going to be a
> technology that Fedora as a project will actively encourage people to
> use.  I wouldn't want to encourage to use an ssh key or password to
> algorithmically generate a desktop image, and i think we should
> respect the smolt id in a similar fashion.

The idea of using smolt to generate unique backgrounds is that it will
encourage people to send their profiles. Plus, all the reviews I read about
F8 liked the idea of using an animated background. It'll be a good thing if
we use a different trick every new release.
In my opinion it's a pretty neat feature, people like "cool" stuff.

:)

> -jef

Laith Juwaidah
http://www.ljuwaidah.org