Tangoish Fedora logo in Mist-inherited default icon theme

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:44:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 17:12 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know, this topic was here some time ago, but I want it to be
> succeeded.
>
> Scaled down SVG look terrible [1] .
>
> My proposal is to use modern Tango! palette everywhere, where small
> Fedora logo appers, since Fedora is opensource (why trademarks are
> stopping us from make it look beautiful?) [2] .
>
> Mist is Tango!-styled icon theme, which looks very nice.
> Fedora's default icon theme inherits Mist, but uses ugly scaled down SVG
> - it mixes styles: tangoish and plain, non-tangoish.
>
> You don't want to mix styles, as said some time ago somewhere, so lets
> use modern tangoish artwork, which looks awesome and makes Linux well
> recognized.
>
>  1| http://www.flickr.com/photos/livio-pl/2213995683/
You have mistook GIF icon with transparency for scaled-down SVG. GIF
icon cannot look better than that and I wonder if it is possible to have
PNG web-page icon.

>  2| http://stephenbrandt.com/tango-icons/fedora/

Yes, the tango! styled fedora logo is awesome but I'd wonder if it would
pass legal. Anyway, this is IMHO not the proper place to ask in the
first place. Since it concerns Fedora logo it should be IMHO asked first
at logo at fedoaproject.org. And only after that, if it is approved, bring
the thing on the art list.

Martin