[Echo] preferences-system-firewall sketches

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Jul 9 05:48:33 UTC 2008

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> 2008/7/8 Martin Sourada:
>     I've prepared two different designs for preferences-system-firewall.
>     Basically both implement the idea of firewall being some sort of
>     security wall - therefore I used brick wall and lock. In first design
>     the lock is supposed to be drawn on the wall, in the second design, it
>     is an object on it's own. In both images I used some gimp tricks in
>     order to look more smooth on LCDs for the PNGs.
>
> The lock is barely visible given the dominance of the bright brick
> color. How about placing Internet icon behind the wall? It might looks
> like *cough* Microsoft Windows Defender but other Firewall icons are not
> that great IMHO.

And from the two, the "a" version (painted lock) is the least readable.

Anyway, it seems a wall made from red bricks and *something* is the most
common used metaphor for such icon, so we should stay with it, at it
will be easily recognized by users.

Maybe to not copy the icon from Windows, protect a *computer* with the wall?