Self Introduction

Klaatu and Gort gort.klaatu at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 23:59:18 UTC 2008

Daniel,
Hi.  Inkscape is a pretty powerful app, so I'd check it out first.  It also
is the subject of a great number of screencasts over at
http://screencasters.heathenx.org/ so that might be a good learning
resource.

The other big one, I guess, is Blender, which is insanely powerful and
diverse, great for 3d modeling and a lot more.  There is a great "Noob to
Pro" series of WikiBooks available from wikipedia.org that you might want to
check out.

GIMP is the other big one.  Don't know of any books but if you know
Photoshop you know the GIMP.  There are many books on the subject.  I hear
some guy named Klaatu did a fair little intro to the program for the show
Linux Reality at
http://media.libsyn.com/media/linuxreality/linuxreality080.ogg

Hope this helps, and good luck!

- klaatu

2008/7/12 Daniel Sabin <dan.fedora at gmail.com>:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm currently a student at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre
> Haute, IN starting my junior year. I'm really interested in developing some
> skills in computer graphics and i figured that this would be a helpful
> community to join that also has some really intresting projects to boot.
>
> I'm really new to this (all the art i've done is on paper), but computer
> graphics seems like an intresting medium to work in.
>
> I'd love some tips to get started or things to try to do to learn the
> basics. I have access to any book you may want to tell me about so
> references would also be welcome (and suggested).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

---
use linux. support free software.