[Echo] New guide - Adding new icons

Klaatu and Gort gort.klaatu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 00:17:49 UTC 2008

Martin,
I used to do a bit of screencasting for another popular linux distro before
I found Fedora, and we used xvidcap.  It actually can record to a great
number of formats, including raw digital video, from which you could then
transcode it to whatever codec you want, and compress it as much or as
little as space and quality allows.  We used to transcode to both ogg vorbis
and (ff)mpeg4 at, I think, a bitrate of 400kbps, with a screensize of
1024x768-ish.  The quality was quite good, actually.

To access xvidcap's preferences, you just have to right click on the
leftmost button on the little control panel.  It's kind of hidden but it is
there <http://www.straightedgelinux.com/xvidcap.png>.

- klaatu

2008/7/11 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 09:28 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > Martin Sourada wrote:
> > > I thought a screencast or set of screenshots might be useful, however
> > > I've never done a screencast (and don't know where to host videos with
> > > sufficient quality) :-D I'll see how it can be improved with
> screenshots
> > > (I'll make them during my next commit, if I don't forget).
> >
> > You can host the original OGG files on fedorapeople.org (and if you are
> > happy with them, publish with FedoraTV -
> >
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2008-July/msg00041.html
> >

> Thanks for the tip :) I just started exploring the area and it seems
> there are not many choices :/ In such screencast it would be vital that
> the text would be readable and the oggs produced by instanbul does not
> seem to be very good at that (i.e. I can read the text, but it requires
> a lot effort to "decipher" it). Byzanz seem to record only to gifs, so I
> didn't even bothered with installing it. The best app so far proved to
> be xvidcap which however records to MP4 (I believe it's the older one,
> not the newer and better h264 format) with MP3 audio in MPEG container.
>
> If I had a choice, I would use x264 codec for video, vorbis for audio
> and matroska for file format, but even though x264 is open source, the
> h264 format is patented (darn those patents, this really blocks
> full-blown usage of this really good video compression format), also
> there isn't a tool that would output to it (though theoretically since
> xvidcap uses ffmpeg to compress the video, it should be able to output
> to other codecs as well...).
>
> So I ask, if anyone knows the answer, or link that explain this. What
> can be used for fedoratv? I can recompress the mpegs to theora+vorbis
> later in the process, though I am not sure what the results would be. Is
> there a way to tell istanbul to record with higher quality, or is the
> low quality result of the theora video compression format limitations?
> Or is there a desktop (or X11 screen) capturer that can output to
> uncompressed video, or has more choices for the output formats?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

---
use linux. support free software.