[Echo] New guide - Adding new icons

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Jul 14 07:43:35 UTC 2008

Martin Sourada wrote:

> Thanks for the tip :) I just started exploring the area and it seems
> there are not many choices :/ In such screencast it would be vital that
> the text would be readable and the oggs produced by instanbul does not
> seem to be very good at that (i.e. I can read the text, but it requires
> a lot effort to "decipher" it). Byzanz seem to record only to gifs, so I
> didn't even bothered with installing it. The best app so far proved to
> be xvidcap which however records to MP4 (I believe it's the older one,
> not the newer and better h264 format) with MP3 audio in MPEG container.

The problem with Istanbul is that is use a very low quality for Theora
compression and it has no way to change that.
You can use gtk-RecordMyDesktop instead (I believe it does not work with
sound, so you will have to record the sound separately, Istanbul used to
have the same bug) and leave the quality at 100%. The result will be a
much better looking video and less CPU consumption while recording.