Poster revision

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 19:17:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 11:39 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >
> > The Marketing team has been discussing how we can organize our future
> > Fedora messaging around the "4 Foundations" theme (freedom, friends,
> > features, first).  I think people here already know these terms from
> > elsewhere[1], so I won't belabor the point. :-)
>
> A very quick and rough idea (I'll have to think more about it before
> trying some graphics): my opinion is that *now* is the time to emphasize
> the *people* aspect of Fedora (the distro is not only for spaceships and
> robots, it is for humans too).
> So I think about using some people silhouettes (not real people images,
> as we don't want legal complications) in various postures, one for each
> of the 4 foundations (for a set of 4 posters).

Not a bad idea, as long as we don't make these too much like the Apple
ad campaigns.  We'd need a differentiator of some sort, which will be
difficult because their campaigns use a wide variety of backgrounds --
monopolizing the color field if we're using silhouettes.

> Here are a few possible metaphors:
> - Freedom: a couple of people silhouettes enjoying themselves: dancing,
> jumping, something like that;
> - Friends: a couple of friends shaking hands is too stereotypical, but I
> am sure it is not that hard to illustrate friendship;
> - Features: not very sure about that, maybe silhouettes involved in
> various activities: listening to music, playing games, remote
> controlling a robot;
> - First: maybe a small group of sprinters with one of them two steps
> ahead of the pack.
>
> Also I am not sure if those are best all blue or, as "I/F/V", in various
> colors, each color supporting the poster's theme.

These all sound really reasonable to me, with the caveat from above.

--
Paul W. Frields