[Echo] start-here icon DRAFT

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 16:29:19 UTC 2008

2008/7/1 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 19:34 +0200, Mark wrote:
>> 2008/6/29 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>:
>> I like the icon! but not for the place you made it.. i would never
>> want to see that icon as my start icon..
>> So it's good but try to find another purpose for it. Something with
>> sound would work well i think.
>>
> You have a point there, I can imagine it being used for IM applications
> like empathy, gajim or pidgin, now that you mention it... My point
> behind the decision for start-here was because the icon I used is main
> part of the new echo-icon-theme logo and start-here is IMHO a good place
> to show the logo (and it will most likely be replaced by fedora logo
> when echo is made default fedora theme).
>
> BTW, I myself wondered how it would look like in such place, but when I
> put it there, it didn't look that bad. It's a matter of time before you
> get used to it, like to fedora logo, opensuse chameleon (or what animal
> is that), ubuntu logo, gnome foot, oxygen "o" (which looks to me more
> like a logo for some music software), ...
>
> Do you have any better suggestions for start-here icon? Perhaps some
> stylised letter "e" (which has a drawback of being similar to MSIE
> logo)?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

Not everything is a mather of "getting used to it" if it's the logo of
a distribution it's different.
This icon is just an icon not a logo or something and besides that it
takes up about double the space of a logo because you need a bigger
icon as start-here to still be readable.

This good icon just doesn't need to be on the start-here location.