[Echo] preferences-system-firewall sketches

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 10 21:20:06 UTC 2008

Hey Martin,

Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 22:58 -0300, Jayme Ayres wrote:
>> Maybe looks good to use a "burned orange"...
>>
> Hm... interesting idea.
>
>> 2008/7/9 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
>>> fwiw I think that red color is way too bright. It hurts my eyes to look at
>>> it.
>>>
> Yeah, I have the same feeling, that was why I was trying to make the red
> darker, however making it even darker than in the posted sketches didn't
> seem to work :-/ Maybe orange colour would be indeed better.

I have an idea. How about instead of having a gradient from say black to
the red, try a transparent dark green => clear alpha gradient on top of
the red? I don't know if that works in on-screen artwork but the way you
do shadows in painting is to add the complementary color to the main
color to darken it rather than just add black.

Or, what might result in the same effect, is make the red a gradient
from a darker/desaturated red to a brighter more saturated red. If you
limit the total area covered by the super bright red the icon might be a
little less harsh on the eyes but the splash of bright color will still
preserve the echo bright color palette.