[Echo] Revamped system-search icons set

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 20:50:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 13:25 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Martin Sourada a écrit :
> >
> > Yeah, that indeed is strange, I noticed it on first look. And yes, I
> > know there exist such models of binoculars, only I thought the ones with
> > bigger objective part *might* be better ;-)
> >
> I will do them later.
> > As for the properly aligned icons, where can I find them? Those on your
> > fedorapeople still suffer from the issue (as can be seen in the image
> > [1] you referenced). Also I noticed, you might use more subtle shadow,
> > perhaps add some more blur to it and it will be OK.
> >

> They are the same file if you notice the date of modification.

Yeah, I noticed that (I actually examined the date a lot, because of my
doubts) but the blurriness is still there, though perhaps to a smaller
extent than the originals (I didn't downloaded them so I cannot
compare).

Try to directly compare the SVG I attached in my first reply to that
created by you. You should see the difference, if not, then export both
to PNG and zoom the PNG in gimp, it should reveal the difference.

In short, if you display the pixel grid in inkscape (i.e. let it show
default rectangular grid), all lines of the icon should be *between* the
grid lines and they *should not* cross them. If they cross them, then
they are rendered on two pixels instead of one, which creates the blurry
effect. I actually tend to make the lines in icon even thinner (0.75 px)
which a) makes it easier to fit in between the grid lines and b) makes
the final icon look a little more subtle, while keeping the crispness.

Inkscape is actually going in way here a bit, since when you display
grid, it automatically attaches everything to grid lines (unless you
turn that off), which works great for objects with fills only, but bad
for lines with odd (number) thickness...

Sorry about being so persistent, but I feel obliged to point the problem
I see out... I'll maybe add "common mistakes" page to our wiki which
will cover this issue tomorrow (only this issue for now, because I don't
have much spare time recently), or maybe even today if time permits...
If you don't mind, I'll use this binocular icon as an example.