Waves Grub Artwork

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Mar 11 09:17:48 UTC 2008

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> I came up with the attached after a couple days' work. Let me know what
> you think! I attached the artwork as well as the xpm.gz. Copy it over to
> /boot/grub and rename it splash.xpm.gz (back up yer old one if you want)
> and reboot to check it out in action.

You wanted a less blue, grayish background. This splash is you moving
from gray to more blue or is a blue grub splash and a gray desktop
wallpaper.

> One thing to note, I did this by indexing the inkscape-exported
> full-color artwork in the gimp, and indexing down to 14 colors. That was
> it. I remember in the past having to add black and white to colormap
> slots 0 and 1 respectively, but grub seemed to not like that this time.
> If you just use the 14 color pixmap, grub seems to deal with it just fine.

Looking at the image I felt the urge to play with it :p Namely to try a
version where the logo and the waves are not centered, however I have a
problem: dithering. Which dithering method have you used?
Everything I try with GIMP does not match your result, even starting
from your original SVG (I get some ugly artifacts which I could clean
manually, but I don't think you did so). So what dithering method have
you used?

I recently changed my monitor and went from 4:3 to widescreen. I know we
have here some hard limitation with the current version of GRUB and the
splash *must* be 640x480 (GRUB 2, which may be the solution, is still
away from us) *but* the logo looks ugly, it is deformed (we can't avoid
this, on that resolution on a widescreen the pixels are not square).
I think we can try a workaround: just not use the bubble logo, maybe put
just a sulfur crystal and leave it as that, unbranded (hoping the
deformation on the crystal is less noticeable).
Or is the corner case of GRUB on widescreen display shown only for a
couple of seconds when nobody is looking anyway too narrow and we can
live with a deformed logo?