Wiki Migration

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Mar 14 08:04:04 UTC 2008

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
>> The Infrastructure team is looking to move to mediawiki and would like to
>> work with your team to figure out how best to do that.  We have over
>> 4,000
>> attachments that we have no idea what to do with right now.  What
>> would be
>> optimum for your team?  Would a non-wiki solution work best?  Do any of
>> you know of any gallery type plugins for mediawiki?
>
> I forgot to talk to you about this - but the gallery2wiki plugin for
> media wiki looks pretty sweet. It does dynamic galleries based on the
> tags you add to photos. It seems pretty sweet:
>
> http://www.transarte.net/mediawiki/index.php/Gallery2wiki
>
> I have used gallery before and it's not bad so I think this might be
> worth a try?

That means also getting a full working Gallery2 instance which we
can/would use for other purposes (like wallpaper sharing / GRUB themes
sharing and such)?

Can't we host the images in Gallery2 and just hotlink them in Mediawiki
when needed?

How about SVG support in Gallery2? A short research tells me its create
thumbnails for SVG with imagemagick, so potentially sub-optimal. On the
other hand, in my experience with Wikipedia, the built-in SVG support in
Mediawiki (including thumbnailing) is quite good.

>> How does your workflow work for the arts section of the wiki?  Does it
>> work for you guys?  Do you like it?
>
> It's okay for writing up specification style documents eg having inline
> mockups in a spec or having a list of graphics for one specific purpose
> (e.g. the release artwork mockups). But sometimes it would be nice to
> have a galley of all the artwork of a specific style, e.g., to be able
> to tag all artwork that is a banner and be able to have a dynamic
> gallery of all banners would be awesome! Or to have one gallery of all
> the mockups and iterations of one particular piece we're working on
> would also be helpful.

Can't we use for such grouping something like categories in Wikimedia
Commons? Something like http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/GNOME - i
believe you include the right category markup in the page and it is
dynamically included in the category gallery.

I think such category pages may solve the problem without the need fir
integration with an external gallery (integration made with an "alpha"
plug-in).