[Echo] Reworked media-optical icon

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Wed May 7 05:58:27 UTC 2008

Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 22:59 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just finished reworking the media-optical icon to follow the
>> guidelines and to have all the necessary sizes. There remains one simple
>> question to answer (apart from approval from you ;-) - how we will make
>> the derivations: media-optical-{cd,dvd,bd,hddvd}? Just add the text (CD,
>> DVD, BLU-RAY, HD DVD)? Use label with the text? Use different colours?
>> Any suggestions? I'd prefer one of the text variants, since it's clear
>> what the text says (while different colours might cause confusion).
>> Also, there is an alternative that we just symlink all those to
>> media-optical...
>>
>> Comments welcome,
>> Martin

> I've added two variants (in 22x22 size) of the derivations. One utilises
> text, the other colour. IMHO, the text is hard do read, but good enough
> to be able to tell if it's CD, DVD, Blu-Ray or HDDVD; and I like it more
> than the colour variants. It'll work better for desktop-size icons
> [48x48]. Also, the text isn't usable for 16x16 icon, so I'd go with just
> one icon for all for this size.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

Hi Martyn!
Is there a sane user case for when you need to use these labels?
The only one I can think of is "I have both a Blueray and a HDDVD player
on my machine. I inserted both yesterday and they are both movie X, now
I can't tell them apart". Not a very common situation though.
I personally never found labels like these helping since I only use one
disc media at a time and with different titles. Instead they tend make
things look more busy, especially at the smaller sizes.
- Andreas