Echo Icon Theme Status Report

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat May 10 10:15:57 UTC 2008

Hi all!

Recently we've been doing some rather administrative changes in the echo
icon theme. Here's the list of the most important changes in the past
few weeks:

For Users
---------

We've updated few new icons: go-*, media-*, computer and media-optical.
Feedback on those is of course welcome, they will be available for yum
users when we release 0.3.2 (take a look at [1] to see what needs to be
done).

For the impatient, I'll start (probably today or tomorrow) making
regular git snapshots in rawhide (F-10). These will be created from the
development branch where we recently switched to Autotools and
icon-naming-utils, so we'll need to check whether there are any
regressions.

If you wish to track the icon creation and our progress, you can look at
the status page [2] or our assorted ToDo [3] or just watch the roadmap
[1].

With the transition to Autotools we also added various doc files and I
am wondering what you'd like to see in the Readme file. Installation
steps? Brief description? Anything other? Feel free to suggest your
ideas here!

For Developers
--------------

We've changed the git repo layout [4] to better fit our needs, so get
used to it. The folder names are self-explanatory. If you are unsure
whether icon belongs to base or extras, check if the icon theme works
good without it as well (i.e. if there are fall-backs to already
existing echo icon). If so then it goes to extras.

We've recently switched to Autotools in the unstable branch which leads
to some changes in how symlinks and icons are maintained. When you add a
icon, you need to list it in Makefile.am as well (in the same folder you
have put the icon into) and if you need additional symlinks (not those
that are created by the icon-naming-utils) you need edit the
install-data-local rule of the Makefile.am. For example how these things
are done, look at e.g. this one [5].

We are icon theme and we need to keep the non-art code low so I decided
to include in git only those files that cannot be regenerated. So if you
want to build the theme, you'll need to 'autoreconf --install' in /base
folder first. To clean the tree before git commit (if you have been
autoreconf-ing or configure-ing or make-ing) run make maintainer-clean.
Backup file created by gedit needs to be removed by hand, as well as
distribution package if any.

When do you want to create a distribution package, you just need to run
make dist, or if the package is meant for official distribution, run
make distcheck to also see if everything is OK.

We use git branches function, currently there are two branches - master
(which is where the latest development takes place and where the
Autotools were introduced) and 0.3.x [6] which is the current stable
branch, which still holds the old way of doing things (it's just
continuation of the 0.3.1 release, only with extra icons split
to /extras folder). In order to sync with all branches you'll need
your .git/config file look like this:

[core]
	repositoryformatversion = 0
	filemode = true
	bare = false
	logallrefupdates = true
[remote "origin"]
	url = ssh://git.fedorahosted.org/git/echo-icon-theme
	fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
[branch "master"]
	remote = origin
	merge = refs/heads/master
[branch "0.3.x"]
	remote = origin
	merge = refs/heads/0.3.x

You'll probably need to manually create the 0.3.x branch in your local
repo after you git clone ssh://git.fedorahosted.org/git/echo-icon-theme.
One of the easiest way to do it is just opening 'git gui', go to
Repository -> Visualise All Branch History, find /remotes/origin/0.3.x,
right-click on the commit that is labelled with it and hit 'Create new
branch'. Alternative way would be via command line, but this is IMHO
easier to learn and remeber ;-)

When pushing to fh.o, in order to push all branches (supposing you don't
have any local/private branches that you don't want to push to fh.o),
just add --all to you command, e.g.

git push origin --all

Feedback welcome,
Martin