Mist and gnome-icon-theme plans for GNOME 2.24/Fedora 10

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed May 14 13:18:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 15:23 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> >
> > • King Size - Even though 48x48 px canvas currently works well on the
> > desktop for most people, there is a tendency to move towards higher
> > resolution screens. There are also emerging projects such as GnomeDO and
> > Elisa that require larger sized icons. Therefore we recently started
> > experimenting with Large sized (256x256) icons for the most common
> > icons. Lapo Calamandrei and Jakub Steiner will be taking care of the
> > bits in gnome-icon-theme and I'll be fixing the ones in Mist. Help is
> > greatly needed in this area.
>
> This raises an interesting question about the default icon set in Fedora 10.
>
> Lately Echo development gained some momentum, so maybe we should put our
> collective asses at work and come with a plan: try to get Echo as
> default in F10, so focus on it or we will rely again on Mist and help
> with those large sized icons (certainly, people can work on both, all is
> about the focus).

Well, some of the issues Andreas mentioned are same for Echo as for
gnome-icon-theme, so the Echo devs can help with it as well. What I have
on mind is especially correct usage of icons as per icon naming specs.

Also would be nice if we could "fix" applications to use generic icons
instead of their own more, so that choosing different than
gnome-icon-theme will not result in inconsistent looking desktop, e.g.
pidgin, gajim, empathy could use emotes from the icon themes instead of
their own, etc. I noticed many of the app specific icons are handled by
the gnome-icon-theme people as well, so if we could move as much icons
as possible from app specific places to /usr/share/icons/hicolor and fix
apps to look up for them in the traditional icon theme places it would
greatly help other icon theme developers.

As for me, I hope we can get Echo in for Fedora 10.