Mist and gnome-icon-theme plans for GNOME 2.24/Fedora 10

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon May 19 21:47:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 21:43 +0200, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> Fewer and fewer icons in applications are actually hardcoded, as they
> need to work with HighContrast, even though there are still some who
> needs to be fixed. See "Known Applications" on
> http://live.gnome.org/ThemableAppSpecificIcons
> With my upstream hat on, I can say that we're really happy for all the
> help we can get in this area. Both with icons and code for apps to not
> hardcode their icons.
>
> Firefox and Openoffice are of course exceptions, as they rely heavily on
> their own theming infrastructure, even though we did a lot of work on
> using GTK+ stock items in as many places as possible in Firefox3.
> - Andreas

That's great. We make sure that when we experience such an issue, we'll
help as much as possible to solve it.

As a side note, I noticed gnome-power-manager is listed among those that
work well, and last time I checked, it used gpm-primary-xyz.png naming
scheme for the battery indication icons. I think, in regard to other
power managers, if there are any, it would make sense to at least remove
the "gpm" part; and as a matter of fact, two of these battery states are
already listed in the icon-naming-specs:

battery-caution  The icon used when the battery is below 40%.
battery-low      The icon used when the battery is below 20%.

I think it would make sense to use those instead of gpm-primary-020 and
gpm-primary-040 and extend it to these as well:

battery-empty    The icon used when the battery is (nearly) empty.
battery-medium   The icon used when the battery is bellow 60%.
battery-high     The icon used when the battery is bellow 80%.
battery-full     The icon used when the battery is bellow 100%.

Also, the same names with -charging suffix for batteries that are
charging and perhaps as an extra icons same names with ups-, phone- or
whatever-other-device-with-battery- prefix...

Any thoughts on this?