Fedora 10 release banner - text to path conversion

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 14:05:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 03:22:10PM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:05:44PM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>>> Offtopic: no isn't Inkscape's work to complain, your word processor
>>> don't complain for a missing font, your PDF viewer don't complain,
>>> your  web browser don't complain and so on. The applications try to
>>> find a  matching font available.
>>
>> Going OT, but in the future we hope to make it possible for you to get
>> these kinds of add-ons easily using freedesktop.org standards and
>> PackageKit.
>
> I saw you touched this feature in an interview about F10 (in The
> Register I believe), but for this particular case it would need buy-in
> from the application developers (Inkscape here) who need to be convinced
> about the need and from our own desktop developers who are tryng to go
> away from using RPMs for font installation (something where they
> disagree with the fonts SIG). That's opposed to the multimedia codecs
> use case, where it wil probably have instant acceptance.

To some extent it depends on what capabilities are developed for
opening documents directly from the desktop space, too.  Fonts may be
a tricky subject but the overall mission should be to lessen the
amount of interaction an end user has to have with packages.  Package
names and usage are often very non-obvious and if we can help desktop
users avoid them, all the better.