[Echo] format-text-* icons

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Oct 6 15:18:34 UTC 2008

Martin Sourada wrote:

> After few tries I decided to go "button-like". It is like you create a
> button with the shape of the original letter, but without any holes in
> it and draw the letter on it. First it is consistent with e.g.
> dialog-cancel design, second it is easy to recognise and third (and most
> important) - when you add the holes, it makes the icon hard to read.

I think I have to *see* those "button-like" icons in a real toolbar to
decide if I like the style. The PNGs saved on my desktop do not look
good on a colored background, but not that bad on a light gray one
opened with eog.

I think the shape for striketrough would be better with the dash on the
same plane as the letter face, not on top of it (attached). Probably you
can do it better with extra details (show the top of the dash).

> I used URW Bookman L font for the design because it nicely shows
> differences between bold/normal/italics font faces. I hope the usage is
> OK, the font is not embed in the SVG - I converted it to paths to be

Isn't the font Free? I think it is.

> able to better work with it. I followed gnome metaphors in using only
> "a" because "b" (bold), "i" (italics) and "u" (underline) is English
> based and not suggestive in many other languages (like my own, Czech).
>
> I attach 32x32 versions for quick comparison, the one-canvas ones are
> available at my fedora people page [1].

And I attached a preview with all the icons grouped, I find it much
better for previewing.