The third draft for F10 Solar CD/DVD sleeves

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 13:07:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 17:30 -0400, Jarod Wen wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> Thanks for your comment. In fact the sentence has been changed back to
> be "i686 Live CD" to conform to the names in the download page of live
> cd. Please find the new version from the top of the list.

The names on the download page should be changed, not your cover.  For a
while now we've needed to make those pages more accessible to
non-techies, and Mo had made a very attractive new draft for that
purpose:
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/webdesign/get-fedora/

I notice that her draft also includes "i686" but I think that we really
should be eliminating jargon as much as possible.  I'll bring that up on
the Websites list as a follow-on, since I didn't notice it earlier.

Am I completely wrong that "For Intel-compatible PCs" is better for the
users to whom we're handing these out?  If we were to make special
64-bit covers, I'd suggest "For 64-bit PCs."  The number of 64-bit
machines is steadily growing in the USA but the people who typically ask
specifically for 64-bit don't need to be told what they have.  On the
other hand, the only way to accommodate people who *don't* know is to
give them the standard 32-bit version, and they don't need to know the
difference.

--
Paul W. Frields