[Echo] Addressing ticket #25 with revamped keyboard + shortcut variant

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 08:57:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 20:59 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Did for preferences-desktop-keyboard-shortcut.
The side and top faces are too dark --> outline not visible. I'd made
the keys look more computer keyboard like, but these are probably fine
as well, if you make the lighting corrections mentioned above. The 32x32
and bellow are blurry. For 32x32 it would be probably sufficient to play
with the positioning/sizes to fix this, for 22x22 and bellow, I'd "join"
the keys together (i.e. bring them close enough so that the gap between
them would be just 1px thick outline). I'd drop the bottom row.

> > You could perhaps try classical approach - whole keyboard, with key
> > labels only on the 256x256 version. The shape is pretty easy to
> > recognise even at small sizes and details are not much necessary there,
> > you just need to make it look like keyboard ;-) You might even reuse
> > (with slight edits, more detailed 256x256 version and different oriented
> > 16x16 version - top look on the keyboard) the keyboard from the computer
> > icon.
> >

> Using that approach, 32x32 and above looks like. I had to simplified
> 22x22 and 16x16 for the keyboard.

It would work better if you added a cord to the design. 22x22 probably
needs further simplification, 16x16 lacks clarity. I'd suggest you use
about the same amount of detail both for 16x16 and 22x22, since the
current 16x16, even though blurry, suggest better than the 22x22 that
it's actually a keyboard. For 256x256 I'd suggest making more detailed
design, where the keys would not be just painted on the keyboard, but
objects by themselves.

You can probably use the same design for input-keyboard as well. The
only difference is that while input-keyboard is a device icon,
preferences-desktop-keyboard is used for symbolising configuration of
the keyboard.

There's also icon for System->Preferences->Personal->Input Method
(preferences-desktop-input), I think the bluecurve metaphor might work
for echo as well.