Fedora F's buttons

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Sat Oct 25 15:00:16 UTC 2008

Hi Gian,

Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> Clint Savage escribió:
>> I do.  I have done that before many times.  I'll look into doing that
>> on sunday.  I assume you are referring to the fact that I need to make
>> the images CMYK and making them pdfs so printers won't complain.  I'm
>> capable of doing that :)
>>
>> Thanks for the vote of confidence.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Clint
>>
> You don't have to do that, actually...

Why don't you need to do it? The printers must have sent the cd and
sleeve designs for Fedora 7 back and forth with me at least 20 times
before they could do anything with them. They couldn't get the colors to
come out right at all and eventually gave up (You'll note that the
Fedora 7 discs are actually purple, not blue. That's why.) That was a
nightmare and ever since I've used Scribus for setting up colors
(definitely for Fedora 9 and I think Fedora 8's media artwork) and it
just went so much more smoothly.

So I do really think you have to do it, unless you know something I
don't? :)?

> However Scribus SVG support is
> rather flaky and most of the time (except for really simple "kosher" SVG
> files) you will get an error stating that some features of the file were
> not supported. Also it tends to get the size "wrong", not the actual
> size of the drawing, but rather it kind of adds an additional "holding
> box" to the drawing. My personal recommendation when handling graphics
> with Scribus would be to export to EPS and then import that into
> Scribus, or export to bitmap (with the added side effect of reduced
> quality and "raster artifacts" [pixelation]). Regarding color
> management, I'd recommend you use the very latest snapshot of Scribus
> available from the OpenSuSE repo (there is a Fedora yum repo for it)
> because the one included in Fedora is quite outdated, and now largely
> unsupported (v 1.3.4), then you may grab the package with ICC profiles
> off Adobe's download section and install one of those ICC profiles into
> scribus so you get a color managed window (it is NOT recommended to
> install a printer ICC profile into Scribus unless you *REALLY* need it
> and the target printer supports it). Then you can generate the desired
> PDF and you may even embed an ICC profile into it to ensure proper
> display/print, don't forget to select the desired target media when
> generating the PDF!

Is it effective to use the color profiles if your monitor isn't
calibrated? (I honestly don't know but I wouldn't assume so which is why
I don't bother with color profiles right now)

I assume that doing the artwork first in Inkscape and then importing it
into scribus and modifying the palette in Scribus to have the exact CMYK
colors needed will ensure the colors come out right in the end since a
CMYK value is a CMYK value (maybe not as reproducable as a spot color
but more reliable than picking blindly based on what shows up on my
monitor.) Past experience printing Fedora swag has shown this to be
close enough / true enough that I'm comfortable with this method.

However, i don't really know so much about using monitor profiles and
color profiles at all and if you do I would love some advice/help!

Thanks,