Artwork Quality (was Re: Sound themes)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Oct 29 20:35:45 UTC 2008

Mairin Duffy (duffy at fedoraproject.org) said:
>>   PRIMARY TARGET       * Free and open source software enthusiasts,
>> developers, and
>>         remixers.
>>
>> I haven't polled the entire team about it, but I can pretty much
>> guarantee you that this description is _not_ what we see as the target
>> audience for the Fedora Desktop.
>
> Okay, so we may need to bring Fedora marketing into the discussion as to
> who Fedora's target audiences are since it seems the marketing team is
> marketing to the wrong audience, at least as far as the desktop spin is
> concerned? Perhaps marketing should develop different target
> audiences/strategy depending on the part of Fedora being marketed since
> maybe the audiences are different depending on the particular spin or
> other part of Fedora involved.

They almost certainly are. The audience for Fedora Electronics Lab
wouldn't be the same audience as for Fedora Desktop, which isn't
(necessarily) the same audience as Fedora KDE, which isn't the
same audience as 'the Fedora spin'. I'm pretty sure the audience
for the latter has never been clearly defined.

Since every Fedora <foo> inherits from the same package set (which
includes artwork), this becomes a sticky wicket - we end up with continual
conflict one way or another whenever anyone actually attempts to make a
change that is for a particular audience. One example is artwork. Another
might be the tty that X starts on, just to pick something out of a hat.

I'm not sure what the solution is. Having the art group create different
artwork for all the different targets we may serve with our spins?
I suspect there's a resource problem there. Moreover, it's not like
we fork initscripts for different spins, or desktop packages, etc.

Bill