Artwork Quality (was Re: Sound themes)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 14:16:43 UTC 2008

Nicu Buculei (nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro) said:
>>> We get from time to time requests for such customized artwork, he
>>> most  recent which come to my mind is the Security spin. Sometime the
>>> requests  are meet with resistance by people like me who does not
>>> understand the  need of a Fedora spin with a different look and feel
>>> (or the purpose of  still calling it Fedora)
>>
>> ... ? Part of the whole purpose is to have different spins for what
>> people want to do with Fedora software, whether it's the Games spin,
>> the Education spin, the XO/Sugar spin. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
>
> If a spin is geared for games, for example, you think is a good idea for
> it to have an inverted GTK+ theme (white on black), a wallpaper that
> make your eyes hurt and a general look that does not resemble Fedora at
> all?
> I think is a bad idea to go for something like
> http://ubuntustudio.org/screenshots

There's a difference between having somewhat of a 'different look and feel'
depending on audience, and something that 'makes your eyes hurt', aside
from the subjective taste issues that involves. XO would be a primary
example - Sugar's going to have a different look and feel before you even
get to any artwork, and Fedora specific artwork may be better off trying
to fit into that motif than coercing it to the motif we have now.
(Especially if the target audience is a different userbase/age group/whatever.)

Bill