Artwork Quality (was Re: Sound themes)

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 30 15:08:18 UTC 2008

William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:03 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
>> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>> Jon invested a significant amount of work in a comparison of OS
>>> background images, and sent the document to this list. Is that
>>> participating in the process ? I guess not. But it was an attempt to
>>> influence the outcome of the process for the better.
>> Sorry, but *not*.
>> Jon wrote that piece half year ago (in May) and published it on his blog
>> which is aggregated *only* on Planet Gnome. He didn't brought it on either
>> fedora-desktop or fedora-art. So I qualify it as outside of the process.
>> The talked here about it for the first time only a few days ago, roughly 6
>> months after publishing.
>
> Just for the record, you are being disingenuous.
>
> Matthias mentioned it on this list before I could:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-May/msg00200.html
>
> It was even mentioned in the Fedora Weekly News:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue129
> (and says that you were the author of that section)

In either case, I do not remember your being involved in a
discussion about it until now. Not six months ago. I think
that is why a few of us here are having a hard time even
recalling it being posted here.

I mean, if I write a document about, I don't know, creating
Gimp brushes, and some community somewhere picks up on it,
let's say a brushes group on deviant art, and discusses it,
that is great. But if I'm not participating directly in that
community or even are aware that community is using my
document am I really a part of that deviant art brush group?
I would think not.

But this is a really silly point to argue. So let's talk
about your analysis of the document rather than who posted
it where and when. I would love to hear more about your
takeaways from creating it.