Candidates for Fedora 10 CD/DVD sleeves

duffy at dangerouslyinc.com duffy at dangerouslyinc.com
Mon Oct 6 14:14:57 UTC 2008

Hi Jarod!

> On Oct 6, 2008, at 6:40 AM, fedora-art-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

>>> Otherwise, back to the art... very nice! For the CD cases it seems
>>> like
>>> the "sun" isn't the same as the DVD case or the rest of the
>>> artwork...
>>> could you check that?
>>
>> It's the same base XCF, but some of the layers have been hidden,
>> removing some of the surface turbulence and most of the foreground
>> flares. If we're going with the top image though, I'd like to see
>> those
>> layers restored.

> It is really the problem for me to merge the same planet from DVD to
> CD, since I didn't find a better way to copy several layers together
> to another Gimp file(I am a newbie there...), so finally I made a png
> for the planet image and combine it into the CD files. I am sure that
> the conversion from layers to png has eaten something... Anyone gives
> me some ideas on that?

>From the aurora in the image it looks like you may be using an older
version of the XCF. I would strongly recommend just using one of the png
wallpapers as the base image to use right now as you can be assured those
are okay to use.

>> Yeah, MgOpen Modata for the release number (10), disk title (x86
>> LiveCD)
>> and for the url (fp.o). But the copyright text *may* be better (has to
>> be tested) to stay with a plain font (Liberation, DejaVu) for
>> readability.
>

> In fact I used the MgOpen Moderna, since when I tried to use MgOpen
> Modata, I found that the effects on my works showed a little
> difference from the ones in the sleeves of Fedora 9, where MgOpen
> Modata was used. I think I can changed it soon.

It definitely doesn't look like MgOpen Modata, I'm not sure what's gone
wrong for you.

>> That is a real concern when printing on the real CD on large scale,
>> but for inkjet sleeve printing (do yourself at home) it is not a problem.
>
> Ye guys, you are right. I didn't consider this problem. I will try to
> decrease the number of colors.

Actually you don't have to worry about this for the sleeves. It is only
the disc designs themselves that are color-limited because of the screen
printing process used to print them. So the colors are fine, but I would
replace the image with one of the wallpaper pngs because it looks like
it's one of the older, uncleaned versions.