About the colors and texts in sleeves

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 16:15:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 12:03 -0400, Jarod Wen wrote:
> > The "x86_32" should simply be "x86".
>
> Some of guys said "x686". I think it must come from the kernel
> version. Maybe I can just use "32-bit CD" and "64-bit DVD" or
> something like this?

See later messages -- "For all Intel-compatible PCs" would be better.

> > We still need some additional text that describes for the recipient
> > how
> > to use the media in hand.  I think I suggested some text for this
> > earlier:
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-October/msg00057.html
>
> I am still struggling on this, since some of them said that too many
> words in the sleeve is not a good design. DVD is ok somehow, since the
> space is enough. However, I think the one needs more words is the live-
> cd. I am now planning to add a small label like "Insert&Enjoy" for
> live-cd and "Install&Enjoy" for DVD. How do you think about it, guys?
> You can find my drafts of two labels here(The characters are white-
> color, so you may see nothing in your browser. Download to your
> desktop and open it :-):
>
> http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jarodwen/Fedora/10/sleeve_arts/r4/insert_enjoy.png
> http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jarodwen/Fedora/10/sleeve_arts/r4/install_enjoy.png
>
> A rough effect after adding it is:
>
> http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jarodwen/Fedora/10/sleeve_arts/r4/Artwork_MediaArt_F10_F10_CDSleeve_1.png

Using the Fedora trademark this way is unfortunately not in line with
our guidelines.

As far as "insert and enjoy," it's a very nice instruction but
unfortunately doesn't explain how to really use the Live CD.  If the
user inserts it in her running system, that instruction hasn't really
helped at all.  We need some particular text that tells the user how to
boot from the CD to experience Fedora, and that there's an installation
option if the results are enjoyable.

--
Paul W. Frields