F10 artwork questions

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 15 16:52:25 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Some general questions:
>
> When is it going to land for integration and review? Time is ticking...

Peter already has the artwork for syslinux and grub.

The wallpapers are ready to be checked in. I'm going to be
working with Ray to make this happen this week likely.

The anaconda and firstboot artwork is ready to be checked
in, I will be passing them off to Jeremy and Chris this week.

> (Also, is it known late this release, and scheduled to be earlier
> in future releases?)

It is well-known that we were targeting beta, but are going
to end up in the RC again. This is no regression from
previous releases since the artwork has appeared in test
3/RC in previous release. We would like to target Beta for
F11. The delay was because of the vote which didn't quite
line up with a beta artwork release. However, we did have
prototype wallpapers available in the beta so we've done
better than in previous releases for sure.

> The poster on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes/Solar -
> it doesn't appear to be valid English, certainly not in the header.
> And I'm not sure what "an all branded new way of technology" is.

That is just a draft. It's not official yet thus it's not on
the marketing materials page. Edits and changes are welcomed.

> Finally, not to start too much controversy - is there a reason the
> *final* theme voting is Art-only?

Yes, and I believe this was made clear when we discussed how
the vote should be run on this list, basically:

- Artists are better able to evaluate/critique artwork than
people without an artistic background.
- Artists work hard on the artwork across Fedora all the
time (not just the theme but hackergotchis, banners,
posters, tshirts, pins, websites, icons, etc. etc. etc) and
should have some recognition/reward for that.
- The artists are the ones who are going to have to work on
finalizing the theme, so it makes sense they should have to
work on something they enjoy working on.