F10 artwork questions

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 18:18:25 UTC 2008

Máirín Duffy (duffy at fedoraproject.org) said:
> > When is it going to land for integration and review? Time is ticking...
>
> Peter already has the artwork for syslinux and grub.
>
> The wallpapers are ready to be checked in. I'm going to be
> working with Ray to make this happen this week likely.
>
> The anaconda and firstboot artwork is ready to be checked
> in, I will be passing them off to Jeremy and Chris this week.

Cool. Note that in most cases outside of the backgrounds, the artwork
ends up in fedora-logos/generic-logos, not anaconda/firstboot/etc. So
that may change who gets what.

> > The poster on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes/Solar -
> > it doesn't appear to be valid English, certainly not in the header.
> > And I'm not sure what "an all branded new way of technology" is.
>
> That is just a draft. It's not official yet thus it's not on
> the marketing materials page. Edits and changes are welcomed.

If Marketing's already on the case, that's fine by me.

> > Finally, not to start too much controversy - is there a reason the
> > *final* theme voting is Art-only?
>
> Yes, and I believe this was made clear when we discussed how
> the vote should be run on this list, basically:
>
> - Artists are better able to evaluate/critique artwork than
> people without an artistic background.
> - Artists work hard on the artwork across Fedora all the
> time (not just the theme but hackergotchis, banners,
> posters, tshirts, pins, websites, icons, etc. etc. etc) and
> should have some recognition/reward for that.
> - The artists are the ones who are going to have to work on
> finalizing the theme, so it makes sense they should have to
> work on something they enjoy working on.

I was thinking of it for the final cut as something akin to how the
name is determined, after the entries have been winnowed by the Art
team as above. But I understand where you're coming from. I'll hit
up the archives.

Bill