Artwork Quality (was Re: Sound themes)

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Oct 29 07:37:20 UTC 2008

Mairin Duffy wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> Well, the quality of artwork to a large extent consists of the general
>> feeling that it gives the users. Which is a somewhat vague and
>> unspecific thing, and varies from person to person. It is next to
>> impossible to identify the one or two specific things that are wrong
>> to cause the impression. I'll try anyway: the default Fedora backgrounds
>> are stuck in an 'abstract, blue' box for a long time now. Jon's timeline
>> (that you dismissed as 'just screenshots') shows this very nicely.
>
> Okay. I remember very specifically that after F7 we were asked to focus
> more on abstract backgrounds. For example:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-June/msg00002.html
>
> "something much less branded and image-based"
>
> We have kept this up for a while so perhaps it is time to try to go back
> to the image-based artwork.

I am one of those strongly believing our default artwork should be blue,
it is part of our identity. I want a desktop that is easy to be
recognized as "Fedora" and we can do this either by sticking to our
"signature" color as default or by putting a huge "infinity bubble" in
the middle of the screen... with the later option not being feasible.

>> I haven't polled the entire team about it, but I can pretty much
>> guarantee you that this description is _not_ what we see as the target
>> audience for the Fedora Desktop.
>
> Okay, so we may need to bring Fedora marketing into the discussion as to
> who Fedora's target audiences are since it seems the marketing team is
> marketing to the wrong audience, at least as far as the desktop spin is
> concerned? Perhaps marketing should develop different target
> audiences/strategy depending on the part of Fedora being marketed since
> maybe the audiences are different depending on the particular spin or
> other part of Fedora involved.

I am not sure I am reading this right, but it may be the intention for a
"Desktop" spin with a different target audience than the rest of the distro.

> Do you think we should have our own *set* of Fedora wallpapers and not
> ship the GNOME defaults by default? Or should we be working with the
> GNOME art team upstream to change those defaults? (But is that
> appropriate, to be influencing upstream's default to be shipping
> wallpapers specifically chosen to 'go' with Fedora's brand?)

Then good thing we started a "Wallpaper Extras" collection in the wiki,
hopefully we will be able to select a few good ones from there. Maybe we
should advertise the project more to get more and hopefully better
contributions.