Plymouth animated startup

Charlie Brej fedora-art at brej.org
Sat Sep 13 19:22:04 UTC 2008

In Fedora 10 there will be a new graphical startup program replacing RHGB[1].
Its called Plymouth and it starts even earlier than rhgb. You can see a demo of
the current default fedora startup here[2]. The system works on plugins to allow
different styles of splash screens. To play around with it I wrote a plugin
which uses components of the InvinXble theme and animates them. You can see a
video of this[3]. It is still work in progress but it does not seem too CPU
intensive. I kept the plugin pretty general so it should be easy to change it to
suit any theme.

What I would like is some feedback as to whether something like this is desirable.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterStartup
[2] http://katzj.livejournal.com/432586.html
[3] http://brej.org/test/plymouth_invx.mpg
        and http://brej.org/test/plymouth_invx.gif