Round 3 theme and fedora-fr community

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 13:36:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 12:04 +0200, Luca Foppiano wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 11:50 +0200, Samuele Storari wrote:
> > sstorari *claimed* that he had remade the photo cos he had remade the
> >  photo. If u take a look in the source before write something u can see
> >  that the problem was solved creatin' the blade from 0. I think it's
> >  clear this sword is totally a patchwork of various level created. Just
> >  take a look to the level "Blade_White Copy" as u can see this piece
> >  was totally fake. Created by using the clone tool, in fact u see it's
> >  totally the same in every part. It was created by taken a first part
> >  from the photo and than manipuleted. As for other parts. The Hilt was
> >  totally reworked using dodge/burn tool and other "effect" of
> >  photomanipulation but u know they don't create new layer.
> >
> > So just a little question: If u can't do something, it means that it
> >  can't be done? Sorry, but I'm a lil sick to try to defend my work
> >  everyday and u wait til the last day to make a "new" question?
>
> I completely agree! Sometime I don't understand which is the real goal:
> find *the best* fedora theme or do whatever to try to denigrate the
> others?
>
> This is the point. And *is related to some issues and questions* about
> Samuele work.

The Artwork team treats art in Fedora just like the developers and
packagers treat code.  There is a simple solution to any problems with
the artwork in question -- Samuele, just replace any image that is not
freedom-licensed with one that is! :-)

It's absolutely OK to be inspired by something that's non-free.  Using
non-free elements for examples for the first round (or two) is probably
even OK.  But at this point in the cycle, you should have replaced any
non-free elements with free ones.  If you do that, there is no reason
the theme can't be in Fedora.  The only thing standing in the way is the
non-free element you're using.

Fedora is all about giving our users and contributors freedom -- freedom
to use, modify and redistribute, now and always.  If we were to give
them artwork that doesn't have that level of freedom, we would be
putting a legal burden on them.  That's not the right thing to do, and
it's not in the letter or spirit of how Fedora works.  All we're asking
is that the contributors to our themes live by the same rules as
everyone else who contributes to Fedora.

--
Paul W. Frields