Legal issues with InvinXble? (I doubt so)

Charlie Brej fedora-art at brej.org
Tue Sep 23 20:10:16 UTC 2008

Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't read the whole discussion yet, but I feel greatly disappointed
> with what I read so far. First, I have an impression that Mo and Nicu
> are somehow biased against Samuele's work. First, some weeks ago, Mo
> kept asking Samuele about Moon brushes in the Solar theme, when the
> Moons were already removed from the artwork, next there is the problem
> in katana. As nicu pointed out, the original design indeed resembles the
> Kill Bill poster, but even though I saw the .ogv file he provided, I am
> not 100% convinced Samuele used that katana. But that's beyond the point
> - we all know, the original katana had some licensing issues and Samuele
> just wasn't educated enough in that area to discover them himself.

(read to the end)
I didn't believe it either but when you look at the layers of the image you can
see it. Attached is (on the left) the image of the "Da Sword" layer of the
invinXible theme and on the right  section of the image from
http://img1.jurko.net/wall/paper/hattorihanzo_1280.jpg (fair use). Along with
the stones used to cover up the second and third holes.

I think sstorari was rather naive thinking he can get away with something like
this and the implications would have been very embarrassing if it wasn't picked
up before release (I could see the geek media headlines now). I don't think he
realised these implications at the time.

*But* I do respect the ability of learning based on mistakes and judging by the
fact that he, apparently, is staying up all night to try and correct his errors,
he is now probably much wiser about the repercussions of this than than the
average person.

He has less broken the CLA and should at this stage come fully clean, sign it
again and I think people will find it in their hart to forgive him. I think that
  the reworked designs will probably be just as good (if not better) than the
submitted ones.

I really do hope he does not get turned off from the community as his work is
really excellent and I don't think he should let this bitter his experience. The
biggest thing I learned from personally contributing or watching others
contribute to open source projects and have their work discussed publicly is
that people (especially me) take this stuff more personally that necessary.