Echo vs the destkop

Luya Tshimbalanga luya at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 24 00:40:19 UTC 2008

William Jon McCann a écrit :
> Hi Bill,
>
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> When we approved Echo as the default icon theme for F10, I was under the
>> assumption that this was already more or less known as a feature to the
>> Desktop group, and they were OK with the coverage provided and the
>> experience given. Is that the case?
>>

> No.
>

> I strongly disagree with the decision to use the Echo icon theme.  For
> one, there is simply not enough time before Fedora 10 to fix the
> problems that you point out.  There is also the fact that the quality
> of the artwork is noticeably lower than the upstream GNOME and Tango
> icon themes.

See the baseset[1]. Also there are issue on system->Administration that
neither gnome nor
tango addressed that were done on Echo theme.
> In my opinion, we should:
> 1. Not use the Echo icons for Fedora 10
> 2. Encourage Fedora artists to become involved with the upstream GNOME
> and Tango artist communities

The aim was to get ready before the preview release version will be out.
With the given time, we (particulary Martin and I) work hard despite the
lack of manpower and the calling for assistance Fesco asks to fix
essential icons
which are currently addressed on fedorahosted.org. Latest snapshot are
available on git repostory. Need to remind  Gnome/Tango artists are
keeping eyes on on Echo.

Luya