Echo vs the destkop

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 10:32:15 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 12:14 +0200, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> This sounds interesting and reminds me of a similar project
> (http://tango.freedesktop.org), but for Fedora only.
Not for Fedora only, but for Fedora mainly ;-)

> However, I have a hard time seeing where the Echo style are a in-between
> style between GNOME and KDE.

Ours look more realistic than gnome, but less the oxygen icons. The
perspective choices were done by Diana (based on community input) back
when she started with the icon set (back than Fedora was still using
Bluecurve), changing those would basically mean to start from the
beginning, but I am not exactly opposed to that idea, but I'd rather
started such a project parallel to our current Echo...

> I don't think the differences between KDE style and GNOME style differs
> that much to begin really, if one compares the following screenshots:
> http://jakilinux.org/reviews/kde-4-rev-823000/kde4_823000_dolphin_oxygen.jpg
> http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.24/figures/rnusers.nautilus.tabs.png.en_GB
>
> Same perspectives, similar outlines etc. Sightly different colors, KDE
> drops the outline at 48, GNOME at 128.
Oxygen has a lot more lively/glossy colouring and less contrastive
outlines for many icons than gnome. Echo tries to be somewhere
in-between...

> The guidelines are not set it stone, and we're happy to change them
> where needed.
> - Andreas

Same on Echo part. You can think of Echo as an alternative icon theme
designed especially for Fedora with both KDE and GNOME in mind.

Andreas, are there any areas we might help you other than designing
icons (and filling bugs for unthemeable application icons, which we've
already started doing with system-config-*)? Although we'd like to
continue creating the Echo styled icons, we'd like to help
gnome-icon-theme artist as well...