R: Re: Solar Round 3 - Almost ended

Mairin Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 11 02:25:34 UTC 2008

Hi Samuele,

Samuele Storari wrote:
> The aurora U see was for all created by me, in no complex mode, as u can see in the source file so u don't have to recreate it cos as I done all by myself it's totally open.
> I used the Cloud effect
>
> http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/SimulatedFog/
> but I color the cloud, and then I distort the cloud, apply the Screen Mode Blending layer Effect and that's all, i don't think we need any license.

I thought that you created the original version of the artwork in
Photoshop and converted to XCF afterwards. How did you distort the cloud
in the starburst formation? The tutorial does not cover this, only
creating the cloud. I spent quite some time attempting this on my own
and could not reproduce it. I'm not asking about the clouds - those are
obviously generated by a clouds plugin either in photoshop or gimp - I
am wondering about the starburst effect/distortion. I'd like to be able
to reproduce it. Here's some examples from your XCFs to show exactly
what I mean:

 From Solar_gimp_1900x1200.xcf.bz2, marked as Layer 1:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/starburst1.png

 From Solar_1280x1024.xcf.bz2, marked as "Night Flare":
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/starburst2.png

Can you teach me how to achieve this effect?
> There're one layers cloned in 4 different layer distorted and opacity changed "coming" from that image:
>
> http://flickr.com/photos/sstorari/2845527758/
>
> This photo coming from a mine old shoot, It taked a lot of time to recover it cos for "coming" I mean that I worked on this moon as a file apart than incorporate it in to my graphic and then now I have to recover it.
I was surprised to see that you didn't mention this photo earlier, only
uploaded it to your account today, and that it has no EXIF data. What
kind of equipment did you use to take it? It's quite an impressive photo.