R: Re: R: Re: Solar Round 3 - Almost ended

Samuele Storari sstorari at byte-code.com
Thu Sep 11 08:42:22 UTC 2008

Hi Mairin

Except that it's no mentioned anywhere that I have to provide a tutorial for my works I will explain all.

Ok let's start:

Open Gimp.

Take the selection tool (Square) of every size u want.
Then follow the tutorial for the fog.
Color the Fog or the Cloud as u prefer call it.

Then use the Radial Blur Effect on ur cloud with the Zoom Effect like this:

http://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-mblur.html

Put the maximum value Zoom and than apply the max distortion u can (let's doin some test before get what u like).
Choose as center of distortion the left side of ur img using the coordinates below in the window of the effect.

Ok now U have to do 2 things.

First apply the Screen Blending Mode use an 80 / 60 % opacity.

Than Apply an Opacity Mask to ur Cloud - Galaxy coloured - level.

(Little Trick: U can for other works use the cloud effect on the Mask and obtain some new kind of look.)

Ok there u are. Feel free to let ur immagination and creativity running free to color the mask.

Distort the Aurora using the Transform tool, everyone of the 4 u have will work, tryin on and on will be the best to get a good lookin effect.

And That's It!

U've got the Aurora.

Everytime u will do it by zero the effect will change cos the Cloud Effect it's an randomic Algorithm and the effect change by the mask u apply to it and the color of the background were u put, and so on...

About the moon this is not the original one file, cos as I said before I have to recover it.
And u don't need to take a look in the EXIF data to understand that a square Photo it's not a basic photo :D.
I've taked the original one a couple of year ago with my Canon 300D using a 600mm like this:

http://www.monclick.it/schede/canon/2534A003/ef-600mm-f4-0-l-usm-is.htm

than the photo was worked up... and reworked again, and again.

So I extract it yesterday, again ( I really want u understand this :D), from one of my file and uploaded it. New File? Yes, Old Image? Yes. So what's the prob?
I worked on this moon with a lot of stuff like the Blur / Sharpen Tool, and the Dodge / Burn Tool but I hope U don't need a tutorial for these if I'm Wrong i will provide it too soon.

So, please, take my good willin', my good intentions and don't doubt about everything I do. I start work in the open source sector and lookin to my colleagues I want just to give some help and share my skill too, anything else.

Cheers :D

Samuele