[Echo] New mail-* icons (total of eleven icons)

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 21:41:44 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've just finished drawing the mail-* icons from the Action context.
It's a total of eleven icons and it took me a lot of time to create
theme :-D

Anyway, generally I am content with the look of the icons (otherwise I
would not post it here...) but still think there might be done some
improvements, that I am however currently not able to do (either I don't
know what exactly could be improved or have reached the top of my
current skills with inkscape).

So before I reference the sources/PNGs, I'll tell some words about
difficulties I had/have:

        * the mail-reply-all icon sis pretty hard to do right in Echo
        style. First that type of arrows that are used in gnome icons is
        hard to do in Echo style, especially in small sizes and plain
        arrows just don't work when they are side-to-side. So I tried
        various colour combinations and arrow positions until I came up
        with the current design [1]. I hope it's good enough...

        * the mail-(not)junk proved pretty hard to create, especially in
        the 256x256 size - drawing crumpled paper with inkscape isn't
        easy, but somehow I managed to draw something that looks like it
        (though it probably might look better) [2]. If anyone feels
        (s)he could improve it, feel free to do so :)

        * I decided to put some text on the 256x256 mail-mark-read icon,
        because the size big is enough for that, however as I didn't
        know what to put there, I used lorem ipsum, today's date and
        "address" Echo Icon Theme; Fedora Project... I used URW Chancery
        L font (hope it's OK to use it) for that since I liked it there,
        and in a size that's not readable (but looks IMHO good) :-D

I've uploaded all the icons to my Fedora People page [3] and also
prepared animated gif (slideshow) [4] so you can see all the icons in
one batch.

Comments, improvements, suggestions... welcome.
Martin