Plymouth animated startup

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Sep 15 08:03:12 UTC 2008

Charlie Brej escribió:
> David Nielsen wrote:
>>

>> 2008/9/13 Charlie Brej <fedora-art at brej.org
>> <mailto:fedora-art at brej.org>>
>>
>>     In Fedora 10 there will be a new graphical startup program replacing
>>     RHGB[1]. Its called Plymouth and it starts even earlier than rhgb.
>>     You can see a demo of the current default fedora startup here[2].
>>     The system works on plugins to allow different styles of splash
>>     screens. To play around with it I wrote a plugin which uses
>>     components of the InvinXble theme and animates them. You can see a
>>     video of this[3]. It is still work in progress but it does not seem
>>     too CPU intensive. I kept the plugin pretty general so it should be
>>     easy to change it to suit any theme.
>>
>>     What I would like is some feedback as to whether something like this
>>     is desirable.
>>
>>     [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterStartup
>>     [2] http://katzj.livejournal.com/432586.html
>>     [3] http://brej.org/test/plymouth_invx.mpg
>>           and http://brej.org/test/plymouth_invx.gif
>>

>> That is definitely sexy, I do have one comment though. The current
>> plymouth splash has a progress bar, and as pretty as this is it
>> doesn't tell us anything about the boot progress so a user might be
>> tempted to think we stalled, any thoughts as to the need for such
>> visual feedback?. Aside that I love it.
>>
>> - David
>
> I was planning adding a progress bar (not necessarily a bar). Because
> the process starts before any disks have been mounted, it makes a
> timed progress bar a little complicated. I think I have a solution but
> I will need agreement of the developers. The best way is probably to
> have an estimated 1 minute timer, and as soon as the root is mounted
> we read the target time from the disk. We then write the boot time to
> the disk when we are finished averaged over multiple runs. This would
> more suited to be within the core rather than the plugin. A lot of the
> callback structures are already there to support this.
Only a suggestion, how about a blue-ish hue to on the Katana's blade as
the boot progresses to give a sort of feedback? (instead of a progress
bar as such, using the same logic that would apply to a progress bar),
though I'm not sure how feasible it might be, especially considering
graphics overlapping, added overhead, code involved, etc.