[Echo] New Actions dialog-* + process-stop icons

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Tue Sep 16 15:48:57 UTC 2008

Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just finished creating new icons for:
> dialog-no (stock gtk-no)
> dialog-cancel (also gtk-cancel)
> dialog-close
> dialog-yes (stpck gtk-yes)
> dialog-ok (also gtk-ok)
> dialog-apply (stock gtk-apply)
> process-stop
>
> Following the current echo style, I created a template for all those
> icons, so they are consistent between themselves. Finding good metaphors
> for those icons is hard, because dialog-{no,cancel} I usually associated
> with the same metaphor(s), in gtk stock icons gtk-no is just red globe
> and is too much similar to media-record. Next dialog-{yes,ok,apply} also
> are associated with same metaphor and in gtk stock icons the gtk-yes is
> just green globe, which works better than the red globe for gtk-no...
> Also process-stop is currently also using an icon that is very much
> similar to already established metaphors for dialog-cancel...

Matthew Paul Thomas suggested at one point that gtk-yes and gtk-no
should picture dead kittens, as 99 % of the dialogs that use gtk-yes and
gtk-no should use proper verbs for the buttons instead. (If you see one
that does, please help save humanity by filing a bug :) )
The reason we decided to stay with the red and green balls in GKT+ is
because of how I've seen the symbols being (mis)used in applications. A
lot of time these are used to indicate on and off states and other weird
things.

> So after a lot of though I decided to leave the icons that are already
> in echo with (nearly) untouched metaphor, for process-stop use the same
> metaphor as uses gnome-icon-theme, for dialog-apply use same as for
> dialog-ok, but in blue instead of green, for dialog-no used some sort of
> "this way is blocked" kind of metaphor and for dialog-yes used "no"
> metaphor (could be interpreted as some sort of "this way is open" kind
> of metaphor).

Stop and Cancel are in most situations pretty much the same thing.
- Andreas