Game graphics needed - Project: Starfighter

Erick Henrique br4in5t0rmm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 18:27:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro>wrote:

> Erick Henrique wrote:
>

>> I go yumwload this game and to test. I am interested for creation of art
>> for open games. Who knows I can help.
>>

> The number of images needed is small enough (not all the graphics need to
> be replaced) that I think we don't need some dedicated infrastructure, a
> page in the wiki is enough. You can start the page yourself or I can help
> with that.
>
> I think it is OK if you want to go with a completely different graphic
> style, the downside would be that the graphics have to be consistent, so you
> would have to remake all the images.
>
> However, I am not sure how to put the graphics back in the .pak file for
> testing, so I add Hans on CC, maybe he can give some insight.
>
> Note for Hans:
> [nicu at hell]$ file starfighter.pak
> starfighter.pak: Quake I or II world or extension

Hi Hans

Then, we need to redesign all the graphs of the game and will use in a
version 100% free under GPL, including the sounds and music. Correct?
I go to unpack the archive starfighter.pak and to study a form of I redesign
everything in a new style.

You could create wiki for me, please, Nicu. Who more goes helping in them in
this mission? =)

For example, joining the archives of sound and musics that will substitute
the originals of the Starfighter project. I will make the drawings.

Hugs

Erick Goes

>  On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>>
>>    Maybe some of you are familiar with a game named Project:
>>    Starfighter[1], a shoot 'em up whcih used to be part of Fedora (it
>>    is still available in Fedora 9 - use "yum install starfighter"):
>>
>>    [1] http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/starfighter.php
>>
>>    Unfortunately, this game is not entirely free, it uses some non-free
>>    data files (mostly graphics, music and sounds) so it was temporarily
>>    pulled from Fedora, until those graphics are replaced.
>>    Hans de Goede, from the Games SIG[2], contacted me and asked for
>>    help: while the music and sounds can be replaced with free
>>    equivalents from other games, there is a need for new graphics.
>>
>>    [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Games
>>
>>    I persuaded Hans to file a request in the DesignService queue[3] and
>>    to make the data available in an usable format[4] (it uses to be in
>>    a .pak file which needed special tools to open).
>>
>>    [3]
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/DesignService#Graphics_for_the_game_starfighter
>>    [4] http://people.atrpms.net/~hdegoede/starfighter-data.tar.gz<http://people.atrpms.net/%7Ehdegoede/starfighter-data.tar.gz>
>>    <http://people.atrpms.net/%7Ehdegoede/starfighter-data.tar.gz>
>>
>>    Now what's needed from us: the tarball contains a "gfx" directory,
>>    with a number of PNG images. Among those are some which need to be
>>    replaced: character portraits and starfighter (and other spacecraft)
>>    images.
>>
>>    I have to witness that this is not my favorite game genre (I can't
>>    play 5 minutes before getting bored) and also I don't have
>>    experience in that particular drawing style (pixel level tweaking in
>>    a raster editor), so probably I won't do much for it (maybe I'll try
>>    some portraits).
>>
>>    So if anyone like this game and/or that style of graphics, this may
>>    be a fun project and a noble goal (freeing a game).
>>

> --
> nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com
> Cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
> Open Clip Art Library: http://www.openclipart.org