Using Fedora Hosted Space for Art Team?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 17:45:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 14:35 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
> >
> > we've briefly discussed with Mo on the irc, that it might be worth
> > setting up a fedorahosted.org instance for the Fedora Art Team. Primary
> > purpose would be to host our release graphics, but it could serve other
> > purposes as well (e.g. using ticket system for design service come to my
> > mind).
>
> It is about released graphics, like a history and a place where one can
> find the graphics from previous releases *or* a place where to upload
> proposals and work-in progress for the next release?
>
> If we are using only the wiki from there (Trac), what is the advantage
> over using the main wiki?
> The disadvantage would be poorer discoverability and a need to know a
> second wiki syntax.

Yeah, transferring just the wiki's does not make sense at all (first is
no needed, media wiki is better than trac wiki, second I feel the main
place for us still should be fp.o wiki). It's propose using it for
things for wiki is sort of inappropriate like tarbals with released
graphics (you know, those I use to build the backgrounds rpms), ticket
system for requesting tasks... Etc. one of the reasons why I posted this
here is to come to some conclusion what might be useful to have outside
the wiki and trac on fh.o provides it (i.e. official releases hosting
place, ticket system and maybe git/hg/whatever repository).

> Do you propose using the ticket system for things like the DesignService
> queue?

Yep. I think it would much more improve the interaction. We could even
(or at least I think so) set up track to automatically send e-mails to
art-list when new task is opened.

> > What do you think about it? Is it worth setting up? What do you think
> > would be good to use it for? Ideas? Comments?...? ;-)
>
> I am strongly against something which would raise the barrier to entry,
> so a NO-NO would be to require git to upload sketches (proposals) for
> the upcoming release.

+1

> Here is another scenario: we have something like a poster or T-shirt
> design and upload it to fedorahosted. If someone want to include it in a
> marketing page from the main Fedora wiki, what is he supposed to do?
> - duplicate the image to fp.o/wiki
> - hotlink the image
> - do not inlcude the image, only a link to it

Dunno implications of either of them, but probably the first two
suggestions would work (I'd prefer the hot-linking).

You can look, e.g. what rel-eng use fedora hosted for as an example,
though we'd have slightly different usage.

https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng